Need to get Tags and Values from Dom

james hedley jameskhedley at gmail.com
Mon May 14 09:19:35 EDT 2012

On Monday, 14 May 2012 01:50:23 UTC+1, TommyVee  wrote:
> I have a very simple XML document that I need to "walk", and I'm using
> xml.dom.minidom.  No attributes, just lots of nested tags and associated
> values.  All I'm looking to do is iterate through each of the highest
> sibling nodes, check what the tag is, and process its value accordingly.  If
> a node has children, same thing - iterate through the nodes, check the tags
> and process the values accordingly.  I see where each node object has a
> "childNodes" attribute, so I can drill down the tree.  But what are the node
> attributes which indicate Tag and Value?  I thought it would have been
> nodeName and nodeValue, but that doesn't seem to be.  Does anyone know?
>
> Thanks in advance, TommyVee

Ah maybe you're confused about how text nodes work in minidom. Every element will have a nodeName attribute (not callable) but if you try el.nodeValue on a text node you get None. That's because the text is represented by a child node with nodeName '#text', so you want (el.nodeName, el.firstChild.nodeValue).

General tips - try the docs: http://docs.python.org/library/xml.dom.minidom.html
and also use dir() a lot on objects when you're learning a new api.

Hope that helps. Disclaimer: haven't used minidom in anger for some time.