Newby Python Programming Question

Coyote sageandecho at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:25:20 EDT 2012

Folks,

I am migrating to Python after a 20+ year career writing IDL programs exclusively. I have a really simple question that I can't find the answer to in any of the books and tutorials I have been reading to get up to speed.

I have two programs. The first is in a file I named file_utils.py:

   def pwd():
       import os
       print os.getcwd()

The second is in a file I named pwd.py:

   import os
   print os.getcwd()

Here is my question. I am using the Spyder IDE to run these programs. If I type these commands, I get exactly what I want, the name of my current directory:

   >>>from file_utils import pwd
   >>>pwd()
   C:\Users\coyote\pyscripts

But, if I "run" the pwd.py script by selecting the "Run" option from the IDE menu, the directory is printed *twice* in the output window. Why is that?

Thanks!

Cheers,

David