Creating a Windows installer for Python + a set of dependencies

Adrian Hunt cyborgv2 at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 21:05:05 EDT 2012

Hi there,

I've use NSIS for quite a few projects... NSIS will do it with ease. You write a script that gets "compiled" into a install exe and the scripting language is not too hard to learn. You can do it in several different ways:

1. You can include the Python installer as a file compressed into your installer (that is decompressed to a temp directory before being run.)
2. The Python installer could be a included along side you installer and run as needed
3. You can specify a URL to the Python install to be downloaded and installed (again using a temp directory.)

You can even use a mix... If an internet connection is available download it, if not fall back to one of the other methods. If you can come up with yet another method, it wouldn't be simple to write a script to handle it.  If you really need to you can write a dynamic link library that the final NSIS installer will make calls to.

If you need any more help on this subject, email me directly... Although I try to keep an eye on python-list, I can't guarantee a quick reply.