Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 9 21:48:55 EDT 2012

On 10/05/2012 01:27, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Mark Lawrence<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>> Google was a right PITA but eventually I found this
>> http://www.legalcentre.co.uk/intellectual-property/guide/intellectual-property-and-employees/
>>   It appears to contradict what you've said above, or have I misread it?  E.g
>> "Under the (Patents) Act (1977), there is a presumption that an employer
>> will own the patent of an invention made by its employee if the invention
>> was made in the employee’s normal or specifically assigned duties and
>> either, an invention might reasonably be expected to result from such duties
>> or, the employee has a special obligation to further the employee’s
>> interests, arising from the nature of those duties and responsibilities and
>> the employee’s status."
>
> That's patents... intellectual property goes by other rules I think. I
> am not a lawyer, and I try to avoid getting placed in any position
> where this sort of thing will come up, because it's messy...
> especially with internationalization.
>
> ChrisA

The title of the referenced page is "Intellectual Property and
Employees".  My quote is from the "Employees and Patents" section, but
there are several more sections, so it appears that patents are a part
of the intellectual property rule set.

I'm with you on avoiding this type of situation, but sadly the whole
pyjamas issue is a right pig's ear :(

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.