Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:01:08 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Adrian Hunt <cyborgv2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ya,
>
> Not to be confrontative but just because a project is open-source, it
> doesn't mean IP is open too!! The original idea is still property of the
> originator... It just has the global community adding their own IP and
> fixes.  This is a core of corporate contracts ensuring that a developers IP
> become freely usable by the company they work for at the time, but their IP
> is still their IP.

Luke Leighton was not the originator of the project.  James Tauber
was, and his original code was a port of Google Web Toolkit.  Even if
Luke could somehow be considered the "owner" of the project, it was
released under the Apache License, which includes a "/perpetual/,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, /irrevocable/
copyright license to reproduce, /prepare Derivative Works of/,
publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
Work and such Derivative Works".  I don't agree with what Anthony has
done, but I don't see how it violates the license in any way or how
Luke has any possible recourse through IP claims.