Real time event accuracy

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed May 9 12:13:19 EDT 2012

On 05/09/2012 11:52 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> I'd like to send MIDI events from python to another
> program.  I'd like advice as to how to accurately
> time the events.  I'll have a list of floating point
> start times in seconds for the events, and I'd like to send them
> off as close to the correct time as possible.
>
> I'd also appreciate suggestions and pointers to a
> suitable python MIDI library, and maybe an outline
> of what must be done to get the MIDI events to
> the other program's MIDI in.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tobiah

You really need to specify the OS environment you're targeting, as well
as telling what program you're intending to feed MIDI into, if you've
already picked one.

Also, the midi file format has timing information, and that timing
should be much better than trying to do it in python before sending
commands to some external program.  In other words, instead of sleeping
in your code and then issuing one midi event, use the midi file format
to send a stream of commands that will be played according to the timing
information included.

--

DaveA