Open Source: you're doing it wrong - the Pyjamas hijack

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Wed May 9 07:34:05 EDT 2012

> the original goal was to purchase a domain and fork --
> i made this very clear in my notes -- `uxpy.net`.  however, the most
> respectable member of the commit IMO convinced me otherwise.

(I'm a total outsider, never used pyjs.)

Anthony, you never explained what the reasoning behind the advice of
the "most respectable member of the commit" was. Why didn't you
finally buy the new domain name, pick a new name, and fork the
project?

As it stands now the obvious answer for most people is "because it
looked easier to just take over than to build a new community, new
infrastructure, new fame, etc, and I sure as hell like to take the
easy road as opposed to the hard road".

Until you clearly explain your reasoning for taking over as opposed to
forking, the default answer is the above one.

Cheers,
Daniel