How do I run a python program from an internet address?

james hedley jameskhedley at gmail.com
Tue May 8 09:12:18 EDT 2012

> What would be the best way to figure out how to do this?  I looked at
> Google app engine tutorial, but can't figure out how that will help we
> get the code into the cloud so I can access it from any browser.

GAE is quite a good option, since it includes free hosting. You should be able to get started just by downloading the SDK and making your app work locally. It includes a little development server so you can see what your users will see in your own browser. In this way, you don't have to do anything with the web until everything is ready, then you just press a button (windows) or run a script (nix) and yor app appears on the web. The datastore is quite complicated though!

If you rig up your own host though, you have a lot more freedom with what software you get to use. A very simple way is to plug mod_wsgi into apache (a common web server) and then write your app as a wsgi script; this usually just entails adding a couple of necessary methods to your script. In my case, I have a buddy with a web host set up so I can get things up on there very easily and for free.