key/value store optimized for disk storage

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 11:27:54 EDT 2012

On May 3, 6:10 pm, Miki Tebeka <miki.teb... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for a fairly lightweight key/value store that works for
> > this type of problem:
>
> I'd start with a benchmark and try some of the things that are already in the standard library:
> - bsddb
> - sqlite3 (table of key, value, index key)
> - shelve (though I doubt this one)

Thanks.  I think I'm ruling out bsddb, since it's recently deprecated:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/106494

I'll give sqlite3 a spin.  Has anybody out there wrapped sqlite3
behind a hash interface already?  I know it's simple to do
conceptually, but there are some minor details to work out for large
amounts of data (like creating the index after all the inserts), so if
somebody's already tackled this, it would be useful to see their
code.

> You might find that for a little effort you get enough out of one of these.
>
> Another module which is not in the standard library is hdf5/PyTables and in my experience very fast.

Thanks.