syntax for code blocks

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri May 4 07:29:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Kiuhnm
<kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it at mail.python.org> wrote:
> If I and my group of programmers devised a good and concise syntax and
> semantics to describe some applicative domain, then we would want to
> translate that into the language we use.
> Unfortunately, Python doesn't let you do that.

No, this is not unfortunate. Python does certain things and does them
competently. If Python doesn't let you write what you want the way you
want, then you do not want Python.

This is not an insult to Python, nor is it a cop-out whereby the
Python Cabal tells you to shut up and go away, you aren't doing things
the Proper Way, you need to change your thinking to be more in line
with Correct Syntax. It is simply a reflection of the nature of
languages.

If I want to write a massively-parallel program that can be divided
across any number of computers around the world, Python isn't the best
thing to use.

If I want to write a MUD with efficient reloading of code on command,
Python isn't the best thing to use.

If I want to write a device driver, Python isn't the best thing to use.

If I want to write a simple script that does exactly what it should
and didn't take me long to write, then Python quite likely IS the best
thing to use.

But whatever you do, play to the strengths of the language you use,
don't play to its weaknesses. Don't complain when C leaks the memory
that you forgot to free(), don't bemoan LISP's extreme parenthesizing,
don't fight the Python object model. You'll only hurt yourself.

In any case, you know where to find Ruby any time you want it.

ChrisA