Some posts do not show up in Google Groups

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:37:49 EDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 12:12 AM, Frank Millman wrote:
> I have had a look at this before, but there is one thing that Google
> Groups does that no other reader seems to do, and that is that
> messages are sorted according to thread-activity, not original posting
> date. This makes it easy to see what has changed since the last time I
> checked.

Any good threaded e-mail reader will do this.  I use Thunderbird, for
example, and all incoming python messages to the list come in, sorting
the threads by most recent activity.  Also coming from google groups I
think you would enjoy the capabilities that a true threaded e-mail
reader brings.  Google's "conversations" view of things just does not
preserve the structure of the more complicated and long-running threads.

If you want to stick with NNTP, thunderbird works with nntp just fine,
and in fact works very well, unlike what Dennis Lee Bieber claims on his
post.  And as far as nntp goes, I don't see any difference between
reading the list in Thunderbird via nntp or a dedicated e-mail feed
(which I filter into its own IMAP folder).

Avoid using gmail for reading and posting to mailing lists (yes I know I
post from gmail).  Google helpfully tosses out your own posts to the
list so you never see them, which is a real problem for mailing lists.
Google certainly knows about this bug but claims its a feature.  What a
crock.  In the gmail web interface, google puts messages from your sent
folder into the "conversation" stream, so they toss the duplicate
message coming from the list.  When using IMAP, this leads to dropped
messages as no IMAP client will presume to know enough to put sent
messages into a thread.  The workwaround, which is what I use, is to
send your messages to the list through a non-Gmail SMTP server.