John Carmack glorifying functional programing in 3k words

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed May 2 13:22:27 EDT 2012

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
> > He may be smart but obviously hasn't figured out this yet: positive aura
> > drives more people and more permamently towards you.
>
> You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but who wants to
> catch flies?

Nah. Who invents such distorted examples only to prove himself right :-).

I think you can catch more girls with honey and I'm not sure if I'd like
to catch those who prefer vinegar. I think we can make it into some kind
of law, say Angelico-Rola Law (of girlscatching), ok?

"One cannot catch a girl on honey without catching some flies in the
process."

Or is it a hypothesis?

> I don't see much value in Xah Lee's posts, myself; if he wants to use
> LISP and hate Python then he's free to, but why ramble about it on
> this list?

Well, it is strange because about half of his every post are filled up
with f and sh words. Even I feel a bit dirty after reading them (and I
swear without giving it much of second thought). Myself, I think I
shouldn't try too hard to understand his motives - because one can easily
become what one understands. Especially that he doesn't seem to be
interested in getting feedback, so chances are there is some force of
chaos behind all this. Or his feelings have been hurt by
Lisp/Python/Emacs/Perl community (but I couldn't care less, really).

Either way, I greet Xah for taking my mind off a subject of writing some
piece of code that should have been written a while ago :-).

Regards,
Tomasz Rola