numpy (matrix solver) - python vs. matlab

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:00:44 EDT 2012

On 05/02/2012 01:05 AM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> someone<newsboost at gmail.com>  writes:
>> Actually I know some... I just didn't think so much about, before
>> writing the question this as I should, I know theres also something
>> like singular value decomposition that I think can help solve
>> otherwise illposed problems,
>
> You will probably get better advice if you are able to describe what
> problem (ill-posed or otherwise) you are actually trying to solve.  SVD

I don't understand what else I should write. I gave the singular matrix
and that's it. Nothing more is to say about this problem, except it
would be nice to learn some things for future use (for instance
understanding SVD more - perhaps someone geometrically can explain SVD,
that'll be really nice, I hope)...

> just separates out the orthogonal and scaling parts of the
> transformation induced by a matrix.  Whether that is of any use to you
> is unclear since you don't say what you're trying to do.

Still, I dont think I completely understand SVD. SVD (at least in
Matlab) returns 3 matrices, one is a diagonal matrix I think. I think I
would better understand it with geometric examples, if one would be so
kind to maybe write something about that... I can plot 3D vectors in
matlab, very easily so maybe I better understand SVD if I hear/read the
geometric explanation (references to textbook/similar is also appreciated).