syntax for code blocks

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 1 22:31:55 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:07:58 +0200, Kiuhnm wrote:
> > [entitled demands]

> Believe it or not, the world does not revolve around you. We cannot
> see what is in your head. If we ask for a WORKING EXAMPLE, you need to
> give an example that includes EVERYTHING necessary to make it work.

To forestall the next obvious but wrong response: no, this is not asking
to see a massive complicated module dumped on us to pore over.

The term missing from Steven's request is “minimal”. When presenting
code for examination by others, we request that you present a complete,
minimal, working example.

Complete, so that we can take what you present and use it without
guessing (likely incorrect guesses) what extra bits you did.

Minimal, so that it contains *only* what is needed to demonstrate what
you're trying to communicate. Yes, this probably means writing an
example specifically to present to us; tough, the job falls to you if
you want us to spend time on your issue.

Working example: so that it actually does what you say it does, and we
can verify that directly instead of speculating.

> [...]
> > Talking with you is a real pain. You're always partial in your
> > opinions and this urge of yours to criticize other's work makes you
> > look dumb or hopefully just lazy.

Sometimes one side of a disagreement is just incorrect, and in those
cases it's good to be partial in one's opinions and to criticise on the
facts.

You have entered may people's kill files, including mine, because of
this inability to take criticism and this tendency to insult others
baselessly.

--
 \                   “Holy unrefillable prescriptions, Batman!” —Robin |
Ben Finney