numpy (matrix solver) - python vs. matlab

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:49:29 EDT 2012

On 05/01/2012 08:56 AM, Russ P. wrote:
> On Apr 29, 5:17 pm, someone<newsbo... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 12:39 AM, Kiuhnm wrote:
>>> You should try to avoid matrix inversion altogether if that's the case.
>>> For instance you shouldn't invert a matrix just to solve a linear system.
>>
>> What then?
>>
>> Cramer's rule?
>
> If you really want to know just about everything there is to know
> about a matrix, take a look at its Singular Value Decomposition (SVD).

I know a bit about SVD - I used it for a short period of time in Matlab,
though I'm definately not an expert in it and I don't understand the
whole theory with orthogality behind making it work so elegant as it
is/does work out.

> I've never used numpy, but I assume it can compute an SVD.

I'm making my first steps now with numpy, so there's a lot I don't know
and haven't tried with numpy...