Create directories and modify files with Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:26:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> In that spirit I'd like to make an alternative offer: put some effort into
> the job yourself, write a solution in bash and post it here. I (or someone
> else) will then help you translate it into basic Python. That will typically
> attract others who know how to make it shorter, simpler, or more general (or
> to turn it into a showcase for Python's more advanced features or their
> favourite programming paradigm). You'll end up with a usable starting point
> for further endeavours into the language, no money involved.

Seconded, and I'd recommend putting this into a FAQ. Dollars aren't
the currency here, help and coding time are.

Regarding the original problem: I would recommend you dedicate just
one hour to learning Python. Most people should be able to find that
much time, I think! As a programmer, you should be able to pick up
most of Python's basics in an hour, using its own tutorial as Peter
Otten posted ( http://docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial/index.html );
after that, you can probably write your script, or at very least will
know which aspects of the language you love and which aspects you
hate!

ChrisA