Python is readable

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 04:05:41 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Nathan Rice
<nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that Indented blocks of text are used pretty frequently
> to denote definition bodies, section subordinate paragraphs and
> asides.  The use of the colon seems pretty natural too.  Parentheses
> are fairly natural for small asides.  The notion of character
> delimiters for large sections of text is actually pretty unnatural
> with the exception of  quotes.

Perhaps in formal written English, but not in spoken, and often not in
casual writing either. Play around with my actual example, an "if"
clause, and see where the punctuation goes in English - and how easily
you can construct ambiguous sentences.

> I don't like declarations, my personal preference is to have typed
> signatures, and implicit declaration with type inference elsewhere.  I
> view it as a matter of personal preference though, the result should
> be the same, and it should be possible to view the code either way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "typed signatures", can you elaborate please?

ChrisA