Python is readable

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 01:56:57 EDT 2012

On 03/18/2012 12:36 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:59:34 +0100, Kiuhnm wrote:
> In the second example, most English speakers would intuit that "print(i)"
> prints i, whatever i is.

There are two points where the code may be misunderstood, a beginner may
think that "print i" prints to the inkjet printer (I remembered
unplugging my printer when I wrote my first BASIC program for this
reason); and the possible confusion of whether "print i" prints the
letter "i" or the content of variable "i". (Fortunately, this confusion
are easily resolved when I run the code and see the result on-screen
instead of a job on the print spooler)

(ironically, although print is nowadays a programming jargon for
outputting to screen, but in the old dark ages, people used to use the
"print" statement to print to paper in their old terminal)