python segfault

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Tue Mar 27 22:38:11 EDT 2012

On 03/27/2012 06:27 PM, Michael Poeltl wrote:
> hi,
>
> can anybody tell why this 'little stupid *thing* of code' let's python-3.2.2, 2.6.X or python 2.7.2 segfault?
>
>>> def get_steps2(pos=0, steps=0):
> ...     if steps == 0:
> ...         pos = random.randint(-1,1)
> ...     if pos == 0:
> ...         return steps
> ...     steps += 2
> ...     pos += random.randint(-1,1)
> ...     return get_steps2(pos,steps)
> <SNIP>
> 0
> 2
> 8
> 0
> Segmentation fault
> ?>
>
> funny, isn't it?
> I was able to reproduce this segfault on various machines (32bit 64bit), ubuntu, slackware, debian
> python.X segfaults on all of them
>
> thx
> Michael

Others have explained why you can't just raise the recursion limit to
arbitrarily large values, and why there's no particular bound on the
possible recursion size.  But the real question is why you don't do the
completely trivial conversion to a non-recursive equivalent.

All you need do is add a while True:  to the beginning of the function,
and remove the return statement.

--

DaveA