Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 18:31:43 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Tim Delaney
<timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Being able to pick up a new language (skill, technology, methodology, etc)
> is IMO the most important skill for a developer to have. Pick it up quickly,
> become proficient with it, leave it alone for a couple of years, pick up the
> new version when you need/want it.

Definitely. And along the way, you also (hopefully) remember what each
language's specialty is. When you're faced with a problem, you're then
able to "call" the ideal language for the task. The larger your
arsenal of "languages I have known", the less "all I have is a hammer,
this problem looks like a nail" code you end up seeing on
TheDailyWTF.com :)

ChrisA