Python is readable

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 22 13:44:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:29:48 -0400, Nathan Rice wrote:

[Snip a load of stuff about the laws of physics, infinity, and of course
fractals.]

I'm just surprised you didn't manage to fit quantum mechanics and "the
interconnectedness of all things" into it :)

> TL;DR there are a huge number of incompatible programming languages
> because people are modeling a permutation rather than the input to a
> permutation generating function.

No offence Nathan, but I think you need to come back down to earth for
air before you black out:

Or at least before *I* black out. Even if somebody manages to write your
meta-language, you're going to run into the problem of who is going to be
able to use it. The typical developer knows three, maybe four languages
moderately well, if you include SQL and regexes as languages, and might
have a nodding acquaintance with one or two more.

With the radical changes you're suggesting, developers would need to be
able to deal with some arbitrary number of different DSLs, and whatever
meta-language is used to glue them together.

There are a huge number of incompatible programming languages because
language designers have different requirements, preferences, and styles;
and because the state of the art of language design is very different in
2012 than it was in 1962.

--
Steven