urllib.urlretrieve never returns???

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Mar 20 16:52:00 EDT 2012

> Today I got a different error message printed on console (program
> started with python.exe)
>

> Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4f85300>
>  >>Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4f85300>
>  >>Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4f85300>
>  >>Unhandled exception in thread started by
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> <bound method FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy
> of <Swig Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4f85300>
>  >>  File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917,
> in GetThumbnail
>    File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917,
> in GetThumbnail
>    File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917,
> in GetThumbnail
>
> sys.excepthook is missing
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> I have never seen a traceback like this before. I didn't install any
> excepthook myself.
>
> Program is using wxPython, socket, threads, threading, PIL.
>
> Here is something even more strange. If I click on the button three
> times, then absolutely nothing gets printed on stdout. However, if I
> close the program with file/exit (actually, calling
> wx.PySimpleApp.ExitMainLoop) then suddenly three stack traces are
> printed on stdout, all lines mixed up:

Maybe in self.Log you should add a sys.stdout.flush	 and
sys.stderr.flush(). I am not very familiar with stdin/out but
maybe it will help.

> Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4fb530
> 0>
>  >>Unhandled exception in thread started by Unhandled exception in
> thread started by <bound method FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of
> <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'wxPanel *' at
> 0x4fb5300>
>  >>Unhandled exception in thread started by Unhandled exception in
> thread started by <bound method FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of
> <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'wxPanel *' at
> 0x4fb5300>
>  >>Traceback (most recent call last):<bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4fb5300>
>  >>Traceback (most recent call last):<bound method
> FrameLocEdit.GetThumbnail of <locedit.FrameLocEdit; proxy of <Swig
> Object of type 'wxPanel *' at 0x4fb5300>
>  >>Traceback (most recent call last):  File
> "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917, in
> GetThumbnail
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>    File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917,
> in GetThumbnail
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line 917,
> in GetThumbnail
>        File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line
> 917, in GetThumbnail
>        File "C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3\locedit.py", line
> 917, in GetThumbnail
>      self.Log(traceback.format_exc())
>      self.Log(traceback.format_exc())
>      self.Log(traceback.format_exc())
> AttributeErrorself.Log(traceback.format_exc())
> AttributeErrorself.Log(traceback.format_exc())
> AttributeError: AttributeError: AttributeError:
> C:\Python\Projects\Warehouserclient_v3>
>

> And the last attributerror doesn't tell what attribute is missing.
> Probably I'll have to use a different library (pycurl, for example). But
> the error itself is getting more interesting.

This makes me think self does not have a .Log() or the traceback
import is being overridden by something else that does not have
.format_exc(). Or possibly this is in a function that does not have a
self (maybe a typo in the function def?).

> Also tried to use an invalid file (that should return with HTTP 404 not
> found) but the effect is exactly the same. Nothing is printed on stdout
> until I try to close the program (stop wxPython's mainloop). Then all
> previously threads throw an AttributeError and all of them print a stack
> trace (at the same time, lines mixed up).
>
> I'll be experimenting with pyCurl now.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423