Distribution

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Mar 20 05:15:01 EDT 2012

prince.pangeni wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I am doing a simulation project using Python. In my project, I want
> to use some short of distribution to generate requests to a server.
> The request should have two distributions. One for request arrival
> rate (should be poisson) and another for request mix (i.e. out of the
> total requests defined in request arrival rate, how many requests are
> of which type).
>    Example: Suppose the request rate is - 90 req/sec (generated using
> poisson distribution) at time t and we have 3 types of requests (i.e.
> r1, r2, r2). The request mix distribution output should be similar to:
> {r1 : 50 , r2 : 30 , r3 : 10} (i.e. out of 90 requests - 50 are of r1
> type, 30 are of r2 type and 10 are of r3 type).
>    As I an new to python distribution module, I am not getting how to
> code this situation. Please help me out for the same.

You don't say what distribution module you're talking of, and I guess I'm
not the only one who'd need to know that detail.

However, with sufficient resolution and duration the naive approach sketched
below might be good enough.

# untested
DURATION = 3600 # run for one hour
RATE = 90 # requests/sec
RESOLUTION = 1000 # one msec

requests = ([r1]*50 + [r2]*30 + [r3]*10)
time_slots = [0]*(RESOLUTION*DURATION)
times = range(RESOLUTION*DURATION)

for _ in range(DURATION*RATE):
   time_slots[random.choice(times)] += 1

for time, count in enumerate(time_slots):
    for _ in range(count):
        issue_request_at(random.choice(requests), time)