Python is readable

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 19 07:51:14 EDT 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:26:10 +0000, Neil Cerutti wrote:

[...]
>> *A major style guide for general American writing and publication: used
>> by some as the 'Bible'.
>
> Thanks for the discussion and corrections. My apologies to Steven for
> pushing my apparnetly overly narrow view. There are plenty of valid use
> cases for a colon without an independent clause.

No apology necessary, I like a good argument :)

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

One observation that amuses me though... it seems to me that the
widespread practice of people writing colons following sentence fragments
isn't sufficient to convince you that this is grammatical, but a self-
declared authority prescribing it as allowed is. That makes you a grammar
prescriptivist :)

We're-all-a-little-bit-prescriptivists-when-it-comes-to-grammar-ly y'rs,

--
Steven