Python is readable

Kiuhnm kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it
Mon Mar 19 07:44:53 EDT 2012

On 3/18/2012 2:46, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:23:45 +0100, Kiuhnm wrote:
>
>> On 3/16/2012 14:03, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>>> A one line routine is still a routine. There is nothing ungrammatical
>>> about "If you can: take the bus.", although it is non-idiomatic
>>> English.
>>
>> In another post you wrote
>> "Sorry, I was talking about the other sort, the ones who apply the
>> grammatical rules used by people in real life. You know the ones:
>> linguists."
>>
>> Then how do you know that there's nothing ungrammatical about "If you
>> can: take the bus" if people don't use it?
>
> Who says it is ungrammatical?

You did.
You're not a prescriptivist, thus you're probably a descriptivist.
Beeing a descriptivist, you must agree on the fact that
   "If ...: do this"
is ungrammatical, because nobody says that.
On the other hand, a prescriptivist might accept that.
BTW, I asked a few teachers of English whether "If ...: do this" is
correct or not and they, surprisingly, said "no".

Kiuhnm