Daemonization / Popen / pipe issue

Lee Clemens java at leeclemens.net
Sat Mar 17 18:17:10 EDT 2012

On 03/16/2012 11:37 PM, John O'Hagan wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:12:14 -0400
> Lee Clemens <java at leeclemens.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a multi-threaded application
>>
>> I have provided a test-case here: https://gist.github.com/2054194
> I haven't looked at your test case yet, but a possible cause is the fact that
> the main application (or main thread) exits if it has finished executing and
> only daemon threads remain. This can  abruptly terminate threads which may be
> busy, for example, communicating via a pipe. The best solution IMO is not to
> use daemon threads, but to give all threads a way to terminate cleanly before
> the main thread does, even if this means using a flag or the like.
>
> HTH,
>
> John

I call .join() on each spawned thread, whether it is daemonized or not.
The code is available here:

https://gist.github.com/2054194

Is it generally not recommended to daemonize Python applications using
this method? Do you have any references or data to support your opinion?
Do you have any references which specifically state - "Daemonizing
Python applications cause Python to work in unexpected ways."? As that
is what seems to be happening - data corrupting pipe redirection at an
underlying level....