What's the best way to write this regular expression?

John Salerno johnjsal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:44:28 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> The setup.py file (as well as the other files) would be inside the
> .tar file.  Unlike a Windows zip file, which does both archival and
> compression, Unix files are typically archived and compressed in two
> separate steps: "tar" denotes the archival format, and "gz" denotes
> the compression format.  Some decompression programs are smart enough
> to recognize the .tar file and automatically extract it when
> decompressing.  Others require you to decompress the .gz and extract
> the .tar separately -- it sounds like yours is one of the latter.

Ah, I see now. After opening the gz file, there was a tar file inside,
and then I just opened that file (I use 7zip for these types) and
there was a whole host of stuff inside. I didn't realize the tar file
itself was an archive, I thought it was the module! ::blush::

Maybe I don't need to mess with the "distribute" utility then, if I
can just run the setup file. I'll try that first and see what happens.

Thanks.