New Science Discovery: Perl Idiots Remain Idiots After A Decade!New Science Discovery: Perl Idiots Remain Idiots After A Decade!

Kiuhnm kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it
Fri Mar 2 09:15:08 EST 2012

On 3/2/2012 14:12, Xah Lee wrote:
> On Mar 1, 3:00 am, Kiuhnm<kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it>  wrote:
>> They did not make up the terminology, if that is what you are saying.
>> The concepts of left and right associativity are well-known and accepted
>> in TCS (Theoretical CS).
>

>> Aho, Sethi and Ullman explain it this way in "Compilers: Principles,
>> Techniques and Tools":
>> "We say that the operator + associates to the left because an operand
>> with plus signs on both sides of it is taken by the operator to its
>> left. [...]"
>> And they also show parse trees similar to the ones I wrote above.
>
> how do they explain when 2 operators are adjacent e.g. 「3 △ 6 ▲ 5 」?

The same way you do, I guess. An operand that has operators on both
sides is operand of the operator of higher precedence.
For instance, in
   3 * 4 + 6
4 is operand of * but not of +.
Indeed, the operands of + are 3*4 and 6.

> do you happen to know some site that shows the relevant page i can
> have a look?

Nope, sorry.

Kiuhnm