Problem connecting to SMTP/IMAP server using SSL

Julien jphalip at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 01:39:09 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm able to connect to an Exchange server via SMTP and IMAP from my
iPhone using SSL and without using a VPN. So I would expect to be able
to do the same from my computer using Python.

However, the following hangs and times out on my computer when I'm not
connected to the VPN:

>>> import imaplib
>>> imap = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL("my.server.address")

If I am connected to the VPN, then it works fine.

Do you know why it won't work with SSL and without the VPN? Am I
missing something?

Thanks a lot,

Julien