Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 23:26:41 EDT 2012

On Jun 10, 3:36 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <arno... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 June 2012 07:16, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is worth a read in this context:http://osteele.com/archives/2004/11/ides
>
> Interesting! I definitely fall nicely at one extreme of this
> dichotomy.  Every time I've tried to use an IDE, it's made me feel
> inadequate and I've quickly retreated to my comfort zone (emacs +
> xterm).

Here is a more recent discussion in the same vein:
http://henrikwarne.com/2012/06/17/programmer-productivity-emacs-versus-intellij-idea/

Reddited here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/vqb9l/programmer_productivity_emacs_versus_intellij_idea/

> I felt inadequate because I felt like the IDE was hindering
> me rather than helping me.  All I ask from the program that I use to
> write code is:
>
> * syntax highlighting
> * sensible auto-indenting
> * as little reliance on the mouse as possible
> * emacs key bindings :)

To some extent the new article just confirms the old Osteele one: viz.
Programmers stuck with java had better spend their time using the most
powerful tools to compensate for their inadequate language.

However it also indicates the opposite:
Benefits of sophisticated refactoring support are almost certainly
underestimated by users of vi/emacs.