Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:25:29 EDT 2012

On Monday, June 25, 2012 10:35:14 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> (Rick, don't make me regret communicating with you again.)

Well unfortunately Steven i am not sure what causes you to stop communicating with me for these seeming random periods of time -- although i can deduce from past experiences that you have difficulty accepting diverse opinions, then, your emotions take control causing you to wield the only weapon of recourse you have available to you: the kill file --  so in that sense, i cannot provide a solution for a problem that exists beyond my control. HTH.

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 19:28:01 -0700, rantingrickjohnson wrote:
> There's no real difference between typing print(...) and all the other
> functions in Python. Do you lament having to type len(obj) instead of
> "len obj" or list(zip(a, b, c)) instead of "list zip a b c"?

No. I actually like the forced parenthesis -- even when on a function declaration with no arguments. I think this is a consistent approach. And boy do i love consistency!

> Making print a statement in the first place was a mistake, but
> fortunately it was a simple enough mistake to rectify once the need for
> backward compatibility was relaxed.

Agreed. However, my comment was not a rant against the new print function, more that, it is a warning against pushing people to learn Python 2.x FIRST, and therby "training" them with the bad habit of using a "naked print syntax" that they will surely lament in the future.

For me the print statement is like a big old delicious chocolate chip cookie and the print function is like a plate of leafy vegetables. I know i should eat my vegetables; but that damn cookie is just too tempting!