Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 07:02:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> I think, for the small importance of the print statement in code, it
> would have made the transition easier, if python 3 was as flexible
> as python 2.7, with a symmetric
>
> "from __past__ import print_statement" construct.

For how long? Will Python require, in perpetuity, the code to support
this? Must the print statement be enhanced when the print function is?
What about bug fixes? How much dev time is required to enable backward
compatibility past a boundary across which backward compatibility was
not promised? And if there's a limit to the duration of this __past__
directive, when should it be and what should happen after that point?

Much easier to simply say no.

ChrisA