tiffany 0.6 released

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 25 22:18:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:36:59 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:

> I saw quite a lot of downloads of this package now, but not a single
> reaction or any feedback.

Feel fortunate that you are getting any downloads at all :)

In my experience, if you are really lucky, perhaps one in a hundred
people who download a package will comment about it.

> How can I get more than just down-loaders? I would like to know, if
>
> - this module is of use for you
> - if there are wishes to get more functionality - if it makes sense at
> all
> - if there are feature requests.

You can't force people to comment. Do you have a blog where you can
report new functionality or bug fixes? That might help drive interest.

> I could stop right now, freeze development as the stuff does what is
> supposed to do in the relevant Python versions, name it 1.0 and forget
> about it.

Sure, why not? If the package is feature complete, then why keep making
changes to it just for the sake of change?

> But I don't want to.
> Can somebody please give me some feedback? Criticism?
> Helpful, useless, boring, whatsoever?

As frustrating as it is, you should expect that unless you have thousands
of users, or tens of thousands, you won't get much feedback.

If you are writing software for fame and attention, you're in the wrong
industry :)

BTW, I have no need for your software, but that doesn't mean it isn't a
good and valuable piece of work. Thank you for sharing it with the
community, even if only a few people find it useful.

--
Steven