SSL handshake hanging, despite bugfix in stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 25 16:19:52 EDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 8:34 AM, Michael Gundlach wrote:
> Hello again Terry (and mailing list),
>
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Michael Gundlach <gundlach at gmail.com
> <mailto:gundlach at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've now changed to 2.7.3, and if I don't write back in the next few
>     days, it means that that fixed the problem -- thanks for your help! :)
>

> The problem still exists in Python 2.7.3:
>
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/imaplib.py", line 1148, in __init__
>      IMAP4.__init__(self, host, port)
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/imaplib.py", line 163, in __init__
>      self.open(host, port)
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/imaplib.py", line 1160, in open
>      self.sslobj = ssl.wrap_socket(self.sock, self.keyfile, self.certfile)
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 381, in wrap_socket
>      ciphers=ciphers)
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 143, in __init__
>      self.do_handshake()
>    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/ssl.py", line 305, in do_handshake
>      self._sslobj.do_handshake()
> KeyboardInterrupt
>
> What should I do next?  File a bug?

Issue x ended with the message that the patch to issue y presumably
fixed issue x as well. I see two choices. (WHere I forget x and y, but
they were defined in previous posts.)

1. Post to issue x something like
"I recently started getting what appears to be the same bug in 2.6.6 and
2.7.3 when connecting to Google.
<traceback with system details>
Should this be reopened or should I file a new report?"

and wait for a response.

2. Open new issue z, mentioning issue x and then post to issue x
"I opened an issue about the same or related bug in #z."

You should give the actual IMAP call that caused the problem. Does is
bomb when given in isolation, or does it have to be embedded in other
code that would be affecting the context somehow (probably improperly).

--
Terry Jan Reedy