Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Jun 25 04:36:28 EDT 2012

gmspro, 24.06.2012 05:46:
> Why has python3 been created as a seperate language where there is still python2.7 ?
>
> What's the benifit to make python3 over python2.7 ? I have read this though: http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/whatsnew/3.0.html
>
> What's wrong editing/customizing/changin python2.7 instead of making a seperate language?
>
> What's wrong working with python2.7?
>
> As python3 is not backward compatible, so many packages built on python2.7 will be gone someday. Or you have to re-write/upgrade to python3. That's a tedious/labourious task.
>
> So after 5 years will we get another python4 as seperate language?
>
> Any answer will be highly appreciated.

Note that this topic has been discussed in full and overly full length
several times on this list. You may want to read up on it in the archives.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling (posting suggestive questions with
well-known answers is a well established troll metier) or if you really
want an answer to your questions, but here's a short answer anyway.

The intention of Py3 was to deliberately break backwards compatibility in
order to clean up the language. The situation is not as bad as you seem to
think, a huge amount of packages have been ported to Python 3 already
and/or work happily with both language dialects. It's not an either-or kind
of thing, you can have both with a little effort.

And, no, there won't be a Py4 in 5 years. The established release time
frame is way longer.

Stefan