Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Brian not_here at no-where.net
Sun Jun 24 17:11:29 EDT 2012

On 6/19/2012 6:07 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> And the lack of success of Python so far to replace, in your
> application case, Labview, or, in my application case, all those
> proprietary 4GL IDEs/frameworks/GUI builders (just check the success
> that Realbasic has) proves imho that the Python community has totally
> missed to address the vast crowd of potential users who are domain
> experts in other domains than software development.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Wolfgang

I have been compelled to occasionally use LV by my current
employer. I do not know if LabView is the disease or is a
symptom. It is an evil parasite and has resulted in a disaster
at my place of employment and another that I am aware.

As for 'designers' and 'builders', the discussion threads on
Python gui builders is legion. In the end, the consensus is
always to learn one and write the gui. Regardless of the
multitude of clever gui libraries, event code in this language
seems a bit contrived, and is attractive only to professional
programmers. But the community must know that the language is
used by hundreds of thousands of scientists and engineers that
have a job to do, and do not have the time and have no interest
in learning the frameworks du jour.

This is why I see test and manufacturing engineers refuse to
give up VB6 where Windows is required. I disagree with those
that say Python can be used as a VB6 replacement. And the touted
'interactive' feature of Python does nothing for gui coding.

It would not be difficult to convince me to commit homicide for
a Delphi-like Python gui machine that runs on a Linux box. I
have played with many - Boa, WxDes, Glade, Tk, Dabo, QtDesigner,
Card, etc.

Am currently experimenting with IronPython, because the factory
boss says no more Linux boxes on his production lines. And the
person that said Python is best tool for data acq/hw control
needs to get out more. Very dangerous. C first, Python second.
This is why I insist on only C and Python for the engineering
lab, and use one of three proven pre-coded Tk-based GUIs for
production and ATE drivers.

You want to argue with me? First come visit my employer's TJ
factory and watch the boys test 600kVA transformers or 250kVA
inverters. 150,000 A of fault current.

Brian