bdist_wininst [was: Custom build of Python]

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:37:37 EDT 2012

On 22/06/2012 3:10 AM, KACVINSKY Tom wrote:
> I found what I was looking for:
>
>      python setup.py bdist_wininst

bdist_wininst is for creating installers for Python packages which
install into an existing Python directory structure.  It isn't used to
create a installer for Python itself (which unless I misunderstand,
seems what you are trying to do).

Apart from generating an "official" MSI like Python itself ships as,
IIUC, there is no other way to take a built tree and create an
installer.  On the other hand though, a built tree will generally work
fine if transplanted somewhere else, so long as a couple of registry
entries are created.  So you could do something like creating an inno
installer script that takes your built tree and generates a custom
installer for your build.

Mark