Can parellelized program run slower than single process program?

Aldrich DeMata aldrich.demata at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 01:54:59 EDT 2012

The multiprocessing module allows the programmer to fully leverage *multiple
* processors on a given machine (python docs). This allows the operating
system to take advantage of any parallelism inherent in the hardware design.

If you are using the module on non-multiprocessor machines, I think you are
not using it to its full capability, and the module's overhead will just
slow down your code.

Aldrich