xlrd 0.7.9 released!

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 18:14:27 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce the release of xlrd 0.7.9:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.7.9

This release fixes an annoying merge bug on my part that resulted in a
"NameError: global name 'BYTES_X00' is not defined" error where opening
certain Excel files.

Barring any more brown bag issues, this will be the last release in the
0.7 series and the last release supporting Python 2.1 and 2.2.

The next release, in a week or so if there are no further 0.7 problems,
will be 0.8.0 targeting Python 2.6 and upwards and featuring support for
reading data from .xlsx files (although not formatting, unless some
sponsorship or patches turn up). If you're interested in this, it would
be great if you could try out the master branch and let us know if you
find any problems:

https://github.com/python-excel/xlrd

There's also details of all things Python and Excel related here:

http://www.python-excel.org/

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk