Py3.3 unicode literal and input()

jmfauth wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:22:41 EDT 2012

On Jun 18, 8:45 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 6/18/2012 12:39 PM, jmfauth wrote:
>
> > We are turning in circles.
>
> You are, not we. Please stop.
>
> > You are somehow legitimating the reintroduction of unicode
> > literals
>
> We are not 'reintroducing' unicode literals. In Python 3, string
> literals *are* unicode literals.
>
> Other developers reintroduced a now meaningless 'u' prefix for the
> purpose of helping people write 2&3 code that runs on both Python 2 and
> Python 3. Read about it herehttp://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0414/
>
> In Python 3.3, 'u' should *only* be used for that purpose and should be
> ignored by anyone not writing or editing 2&3 code. If you are not
> writing such code, ignore it.
>
>  > and I shew, not to say proofed, it may
>
> > be a source of problems.
>
> You are the one making it be a problem.
>
> > Typical Python desease. Introduce a problem,
> > then discuss how to solve it, but surely and
> > definitivly do not remove that problem.
>
> The simultaneous reintroduction of 'ur', but with a different meaning
> than in 2.7, *was* a problem and it should be removed in the next release.
>
> > As far as I know, Python 3.2 is working very
> > well.
>
> Except that many public libraries that we would like to see ported to
> Python 3 have not been. The purpose of reintroducing 'u' is to encourage
> more porting of Python 2 code. Period.
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

It's a matter of perspective. I expected to have
finally a clean Python, the goal is missed.

I have nothing to object. It is "your" (core devs)
project, not mine. At least, you understood my point
of view.

I'm a more than two decades TeX user. At the release
of XeTeX (a pure unicode TeX-engine), the devs had,
like Python2/3, to make anything incompatible. A success.
It did not happen a week without seeing a updated
package or a refreshed documentation.

Luckily for me, Xe(La)TeX is more important than
Python.

As a scientist, Python is perfect.
>From an educational point of view, I'm becoming
more and more skeptical about this language, a
moving target.

Note that I'm not complaining, only "desappointed".

jmf