Py3.3 unicode literal and input()

Jussi Piitulainen jpiitula at ling.helsinki.fi
Mon Jun 18 13:36:57 EDT 2012

Andrew Berg writes:
> On 6/18/2012 11:32 AM, Jussi Piitulainen wrote:
> > jmfauth writes:
> >
> >> Thinks are very clear to me. I wrote enough interactive
> >> interpreters with all available toolkits for Windows

> > u'a
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> > SyntaxError: u'a
> >
> > Er, no, not really :-)
> >
> You're using 2.x; this thread concerns 3.3, which, as has been
> repeated several times, does not evaluate strings passed via input()
> like 2.x.  That code does not raise a SyntaxError in 3.x.

I used 3.1.2, and I really meant the "not really". And the ":-)". I
edited out the command that raised the exception.

This thread is weird. If I didn't know that things are very clear to
jmfauth, I would think that the behaviour of input() that I observe
has absolutely nothing to do with the u'' syntax in source code.