How does python bytecode works?

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran+python at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 02:08:53 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Devin Jeanpierre
<jeanpierreda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:54 AM, gmspro <gmspro at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> We know python is written in C.
>> C is not portable.
>
> Badly written C is not portable. But C is probably the most portable
> language on the planet, by virtue of basically every system having a C
> compiler backend.
>
> The issue is that a lot of people make nonportable assumptions about
> C, and runtimes / OSes / architectures are free to make lots of very
> weird decisions.
>
> For example, this code is not strictly universally-compatible C. It is
> "portable" in that the changes required to make it run on any system
> are trivial, but not in the sense that it should be able to compile
> without any changes. (Not unless a cheeky/smart compiler is involved,
> anyway).
>
> int main () {
>    return 0;
> }
>
> Instead of 0, it should "technically" return EXIT_SUCCESS AIUI. Most
> people don't care because EXIT_SUCCESS is 0 almost everywhere.

In the interests of pedantry, I will point out that the C standard
requires implementation to treat both 0 and EXIT_SUCCESS to be treated
as successful exits.  The implementation must translate this to
whatever the environment treats as successful termination of the
program.  Ref: specification of the exit(int) function.

--
regards,
kushal