usenet reading

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 15 17:25:09 EDT 2012

In article <jqfjjc$f5s$1 at dont-email.me>,
Colin Higwell  <colinh at somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:38:55 -0700, Jon Clements wrote:
>

>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be
>> with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
>> around...
>>
>I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.
>
>Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
>mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

I still use UUCP. This machine is a UUCP node (spenarnc.xs4all.nl). I
fetch my mail and news using a UUCP-feed (login over the internet with
ADSL to a machine of xs4all). From that moment on it is a newsserver.
I can access it from other machines on my network or I could make it
available to friends over the internet. (Not that I plan to do that.)
I can use any newsreader, and it is fast/instantaneous.

Set this stuff up in 1994 with Coherent. Upgraded to Linux, and upgraded
the hardware a couple of times. Running on a Pentium 120 Mhz now.

I take it for granted but last time I heard, UUCP was down to less
than a dozen users with this service.

Groetjes Albert

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst