Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Thu Jun 14 16:52:32 EDT 2012

Am 14.06.2012 22:06, schrieb Colin Higwell:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:55:38 +0200, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:
>> As long as there's no GUI
>> builder for Python, most people will stick to Excel / VBA / VB.
>
> No GUI builder for Python? There are plenty.
Yes, sorry. I posted that too late in the night.
The point was that there's no easy-to-use GUI builder which would
allow the casual user to create a GUI.

> I use wxGlade with wxPython and it works beautifully. It writes the code
> for the GUI elements, and I put in the event handlers, database access
> code and so on.
Yes, from the ones I've tested, wxGlade came closest to what I was
looking for.
But still, it's far away from being the tool that is required IMHO.
(An it does not seem to be in active development.)

Also, with wxGlade you are forced to use sizers - even at positions
where they are not useful at all.
For simple GUIs that adds a level of complexity which is counter
productive.
(From the GUI editors that I tried, Qt Creator/Designer was the only
  one where I agree that it handles sizers/layout containers well.)

When I compare e.g. wxGlade to VB6,  whether a casual programmer can use
it to create a GUI, then still VB6 wins.
VB is crap, but at least it allows to create GUIs by using a GUI and
will help you getting started in writing GUI applications. It will
take only a few minutes to teach someone how to get started.
On the other hand, I need to know wx very well to be able to create
a GUI using wxGlade as otherwise I will never find where to add
e.g. the handlers.
But when I know wx very well, then there's no point in using wxGlade.

Regards,

Dietmar