[newbie] Equivalent to PHP?

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Wed Jun 13 19:12:37 EDT 2012

> >PHP was developed for non-developers. (see
> >http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/ ).
> >It's much easier and also cheaper to find bad coders and non-developers
> >than code people. The outcome is bad performance and lots of security
> >issues.
>
> And as to why Facebook chose PHP...

You are not Facebook (at least yet).

They also choose to transform PHP into C++ for performance reasons. Not
something the average large website would want to do.
http://www.sdtimes.com/blog/post/2010/01/30/Facebook-rewrites-PHP-runtime.aspx
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/the-facebook-data-center-faq-page-2/

The real question is would they use it again if they were to start over?
http://www.quora.com/Quora-Infrastructure/Why-did-Quora-choose-Python-for-its-development

These decisions are influenced by a multitude of factors
1. familiarity/popularity of a framework
2. support
3. what someone thinks is "best" for specifications
4. cost
Notice only 1 of those factors was what was actually "best".

Also remember you asked this on a *Python* mailing list. I am sure you
will get different responses on a PHP mailing list.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423