Pytz error: unpack requires a string argument of length 44

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Wed Jun 13 18:25:28 EDT 2012

> There indeed seems to be something wrong with my installation of pytz. I had a
> look around the zoneinfo dir, which is where build_tzinfo polls its info from,
> and a whole bunch of files are 0 bytes. Whenever I try to instantiate a
> timezone whose corresponding file is 0 bytes I get that error (it's trying to
> read the head of the tzinfo file to make sure the right magic bytes are in
> there, and reading 44 bytes out of a 0 byte file isn't going to work).
>
> So I guess I'll poke around to find some specific help with pytz or a non-
> broken zoneinfo dir.

Did you follow the installation instructions located on the front page?

I would unpack the tarball (not in a Python directory) and then do
`python setup.py install` (use the full path to the executable you want
the module installed to if you have more than one version of Python installed)
from the directory with the unpacked contents of the tarball. I did not need
admin rights to manually install on Windows, but that might depend on
where your Python is installed.

Ramit

712 Main Street | Houston, TX 77002
work phone: 713 - 216 - 5423