Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Wed Jun 13 08:36:08 EDT 2012

> > Tkinter is imho honestly the very best "argument" if you want to
> > make potential new users turn their backs away from Python for
> > good. Just show them one GUI implemented with it and, hey, wait,
> > where are you running to...
>
> Yes, Tkinter GUI's are very ugly.
>
> http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity-running.png
>
> http://www.codebykevin.com/quickwho-main.png

OK, so after what - one and a half decades? - Tkinter now finally has
caught up with wxPython and PyQt (concerning the look). Which can be
used in an as interactive way from the commandline interpreter as
Tkinter. Argument against Tkinter withdrawn from my side.

But there's afaik still no interactive GUI builder out there for any of
these frameworks, nor a higher level framework that requires less glue
code between bare naked "event handling" and the domain-specific code.
"Event handling" - that term already raises my hair because it stinks
like bulkloads of clumsy, error-prone diligence work that has nothing
to do with the problem I need to get solved.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang