[newbie] Equivalent to PHP?

D'Arcy Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Jun 12 07:42:56 EDT 2012

On 12-06-12 06:36 AM, Gilles wrote:
> I enjoy writing scripts in Python much more than PHP, but with so many
> sites written in PHP, I need to know what major benefits there are in
> choosing Python (or Ruby, ie. not PHP).

I think that you just answered your own question in the first line of
that paragraph.  With computers running so fast and memory and disk
being so cheap, the only decision left for most applications is what
language do you prefer.  Python wins because it is so nice to work
with.  It's clean and you don't have to deal with the daily security
holes of PHP.

> Apparently, very few people use Python à la PHP, ie. Python code
> embedded in web pages?

I guess I am in the minority then.  I do plan to turn one of my larger
projects into a standalone web server some day but so far writing
simple Python CGI scripts has served me fine.  I even do some embedding
by using server side scripting.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
IM: darcy at Vex.Net