Re: Pythonic cross-platform GUI desingers à la Interface Builder (Re: what gui designer is everyone using)

Dietmar Schwertberger news at schwertberger.de
Mon Jun 11 18:49:18 EDT 2012

Am 11.06.2012 06:05, schrieb rusi:
> If python is really a "language maven's" language then it does not do
> very well:
> - its not as object-oriented as Ruby (or other arcana like Eiffel)
> - its not as functional as Haskell
> - its not as integrable as Lua
> - its not as close-to-bare-metal as C
> - etc
Depends on the definition. Maybe, that Python is not a perfect
language from an academic point of view, but it's a good choice
for anyone looking for a pragmatic programming language.

> Then why is it up-there among our most popular languages? Because of
> the 'batteries included.'
It's not only the batteries, but also the language itself.
As someone wrote a long time ago "Python fits my brain".

> And not having a good gui-builder is a battery (cell?) that is
> lacking.
It's a cell that would make it much easier to compete with other
languages/environments.
These environments need not necessarily be classical programming
language, but could also be Labview, Matlab etc.

And regarding popularity, I see very much potential.
I have been working for two high-tech companies and I have never
met anyone else using Python there.
Focus is not classical databases, but data acquisition and processing.
Many are still using VB, some are even using HT/HP-BASIC.
Quite a lot moved to Labview, some are using Matlab or thinking
about moving to it.
The ones who actually see the point the advantages of a general
purpose language moved to C#.
(Nobody is using Java in this context as it obviously would not make
any sense.)

Anyway, I don't see how people could be persuaded to use a
console-only environment, which - realistically - Python is at the
moment for most people.

 From what I see, Python is recognized as a language for scripting
and maybe for web servers, but not as a general purpose language to
implement GUI software.

(To make it clear: I have been using Python as a general purpose
  language for many years.)

Regards,

Dietmar