Compare 2 times

t_texas tyevans at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 23:49:38 EDT 2012

On Jun 6, 7:50 am, loial <jldunn2... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a requirement to test the creation time of a file with the
> current time and raise a message if the file is  more than 15 minutes
> old.
>
> Platform is Unix.
>
> I have looked at using os.path.getctime for the file creation time and
> time.time() for the current time, but is this the best approach?

Unless you are using ext4 you are going to have to store the creation
time yourself.  If the files are coming from your application, use the
sqlite3 or shelve module to store the creation time for each file then
check that data to determine which files are more than 15 minutes old.

If the files are being generated from another application or from
users, have your application check the directory every minute and
record any new files.  Worst case scenario, a file will be present for
16 minutes vs 15.